What is an Ankle Fracture?
An ankle fracture is a break of any of the bones in the ankle. The most common is called a Pott’s fracture which is a break of the lateral (outside), medial (inside), and malleoli. These are the bony protrusions on either side of the ankle.
The mechanism of injury is the same as an ankle sprain. As a result, it may be difficult to tell apart initially. Lateral ankle sprains are more common and so fractures to the lateral malleoli also tend to occur more frequently.
Who is this program suitable for?
This program is suitable for anyone suffering from pain, stiffness, and weakness after a period of immobility post-ankle fracture.
It is very important that you follow the advice of your consultant and only progress through the phases as pain allows.
How does it work?
The program consists of 4 phases with a 5th maintenance phase. You progress through the phases, only moving on to the next phase when you have reached specific exit criteria.
Phil introduces each phase of the Ankle fracture rehabilitation program and guides you through a series of videos. The app gives you exact daily tasks (Today’s tasks) and keeps a record of your progress for review by you, your coach, or your physio. Instead of merely healing your injury, this program empowers you to return even stronger than before.
Phil’s Ankle fracture rehabilitation program is structured as follows:
1. Acute Management (Phase 1)
- Immediate Care: Apply this phase if your ankle exhibits symptoms such as swelling, redness, heat, or pain.
2. Early Rehabilitation (Phase 2)
- Re-loading: Introduce more load and strength to the ankle. If swelling or inflammation occurs, return to the PRICE principles.
3. Mid-Rehabilitation (Phase 3)
- Capacity Increase: Work towards enhancing the ankle’s capacity by further strengthening.
4. Late Rehabilitation (Phase 4)
- Final Recovery Stages: Concentrate on completing the healing process during this phase.
5. Maintenance (Phase 5)
- Sustaining Strength and Flexibility: Use your preferred exercises from phases 3 and 4, incorporating them into your regular training routine to preserve strength and flexibility.
What is included?
The program includes the following elements:
Treatment & Healing
This covers how and when to apply treatment such as cold therapy & compression, heat, massage, and taping.
Over 60 different exercises with video demonstrations covering mobility & stretching, activation, strengthening, motion control/proprioception, and functional or activity-specific exercises and running progressions.
If you have any questions about the program or your progress then use in-app support to get in touch with our qualified sports therapist for advice.